Nantahala National Forest
26-ish Miles 5hr24min
If I did anymore road and greenway running I was bound to have an identity crisis and start thinking I was a fast road runner. So to clear up any confusion I headed up the nearest mountain and received a solid beat down via the best all-day loop I could come up with. And apparently I'm not the only one who has thought this route looked like a good idea.
![]() |
| This was actually what I used to navigate my run... kind of scary |
| Beginning/End Point- Near Standing Indian Campground |
| Summit View from Standing Indian Mountain |
Leaving Standing Indian I finally got to run most of the time thanks to a little gravity assistance. Unfortunately most of the really technical stuff wasn't as much fun as usual due to some dumbness known as Tabata circuits, a really terrible type of work-out that I did for the first time on Thursday (this day was Sunday.)
Even though my legs didn't feel top notch, my trail snacks were a vast improvement over what I normally carry. Lately I've been getting away from gels and powders and trying to eat more food like substances on the run. The two things that I've had success with are applesauce mixed with lime and honey (carried in a gel flask) and some sort of bangin' energy bar that Caitlin makes out of PB, Raisins and Oats. I have absolutely no idea how to make them or why they taste so good, but they are the bomb.
| View from Albert Mountain |
| Singletrack Leaving Albert |
Today was not that day though, and Albert Mountain let me ease on by without complaint. The last 7 miles of the day were probably the most runnable, an almost perfect section of single-track with just a little downhill pitch to it. This gift allowed me to finish the run in relative comfort and not be completely begging for mercy as I suspected I would be when making it back to the campground.
This route is definitely a keeper, and with picture perfect fall days like these one that would also make a pretty sweet three day backpacking trip.

dammit, who changed the site layout?! i'm used to the old way and change is threatening and makes me angry! and get off my lawn you damn kids!
ReplyDeletei'm guessing you realize that you've almost run twice the length of the appalachian trail this year. that's a serious disease you've got there, that running.
i'm toying with the idea of doing the twin cities marathon next year. can you send me some of the motivation pills you're taking?
joking about the site, it looks good. have fun in cop skool.