Friday, July 20, 2012

The Dude Just Wants His Rug Back

Injuries and burnout, they happen to us all and they usually manage to happen simultaneously. They are the kryptonite to many a runners mojo. More than a few times in the last 9 months or so I've questioned the fundamental purpose of running, thinking that I may just turn my back and walk (not run) away. This turn of events may have started when I went to the gym with a buddy of mine last September. After making it through what was essentially the warm-up I was beat up and exhausted, I had to leave to go for a run just to keep my ego intact. Guess I wasn't that fit after all. Soon after that, running injury. After that, half-heartedly running some ultras. After that, more running injury. Finally in March I came to my senses and significantly cut down my miles, and I hit the gym, alot.

My deepest fear with this running reduction/gym increase was that I would become a slug, running paces that would have embarrassed me in the past. But it seems speed and endurance are easier to keep than they are to get in the first place. Maybe lifting had more benefit than I anticipated. Week to week I'm running about a third of what I have in past years, but I still feel fast. And nothing hurts. And its starting to be fun again. And that what it's all about.

Below are some of the highlights from the summer so far:


Sunrise at Mt. Cammerer 7/1/12
The Worth gang also toed the line at the Knoxville Fireball Classic, a 5k. For some reason since being owned in the gym last fall I've seen the merit in not just indulging in your strengths, but improving your weaknesses too. Short distance races are certainly my weakness. I can't pace myself, even when I think I'm pacing myself I take off like some joker just trying to get in the starting line photo . In the end, not a terrible race for me though. An 18:10, making for my second fastest 5k. Caitlin near PR'ed and my dad lopped about 9 seconds off his best time. Its pretty impressive to watch someone PR at 55. No other races on the schedule this summer, but I've got a birthday coming up so I may have to head out onto the trails to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment