Monday, February 6, 2012

Finally Gettin Around to Food


So…Dave and I have been talking for quite awhile about how we would like to start including a couple food posts here and there on the blog. I have been hesitant…for what reason I’m not entirely sure. Those of you that know me probably know that I LOVE to cook. I love food…and I love eating big meals after a long day on the trail/road or a couple hours at the gym. Nothing tastes better to me than a hard earned meal…or a piece of cold pizza at my favorite backcountry vista.

As much as I love to cook…Dave loves to eat…so I think it is pretty safe to say that Food and Fun are inextricably linked in a lifestyle like ours. Our eating habits are not strange to us, or to this community I would bet. Both Dave and I are vegetarians…although we occasionally eat seafood. We typically shoot for food that is as close to “real” as possible…although we have been known to indulge in some Mountain Lodge Breakfast with the works every now and then.

We both believe that no one makes the rules but us, so why try to fit anything into a tiny box. Both of us have gone vegan…we’ve both been very strict vegetarian and we both come from backgrounds where eating meat every day was the norm. Now we try to stick with what makes us feel the best on the most consistent basis…with some appropriate wiggle room for holidays, potlucks, vacations to places with exotic food choices and the occasional steak craving…and that is typically a no meat diet with very little dairy and LOTS of raw fruits and veggies.


Now…that seems like sufficient background to say this….I am an intuitive cook. I love cooking and food, but I HATE!!! Recipes…this gets to the crux of why I have not started food blogging here. That being said…there are many things that I make over and over and those things, it is safe to say, I could write something down to include on the blog, but if I seem vague…it is because the details are hazy or unimportant.

Here goes:
Before the Lookout 50Miler Dave and I spent a few days in the Noog exploring and found many delectable veggie eats…one of our favorite places ended up being the spot we ate the night before the race… the below recipe is inspired by the dish that I got at Sluggo’s North Vegetarian Restaurant.


Sluggo's Bowl:

I always hate it when people say this in food blogs...but...this is not as complicated as it looks...you can use any veggies, beans and greens that you have kickin around...in fact this is a meal that I often make near the end of the week, because I just throw in all the random veggies left in the house and it ALWAYS turns out good.

Serves 3-4 normal people (Aka...just barely enough for Dave and I)

If you don't keep cooked beans around the house...start some split peas/ lentils/ black beans...whatever flavor of the month you prefer...you will need them later...or just open a can at the end.

Chop half a small head of cabbage into small bites. Set aside (You could also use spinach or kale).

For the roasted veggies
- 1/2 Head of Broccoli, chopped (don't forget to use the stems....thems is good)
- 2 Carrots, sliced into rounds
- 2 small potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium onion, cubed
- 3 large leaves of kale, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Liberal salt and herbs (I used dill)

Set kale aside. Toss remaining veggies in olive oil and spread them in one layer on a large cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt and herbs. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or so. Add kale and bake for another 10 minutes until just slightly brown.




While the veggies are cookin away start your Vegan Mushroom Gravy

For the Mushroom Gravy:
Adapted from the Veganomicon


- 8- 10 oz of mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 a medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- sage, thyme, salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of veggie broth
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 4 tbsp of dry wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil

Mix flour into broth and set aside. Try to get all the lumps out. Saute your onions over medium heat for 5 minutes, add mushrooms and cook another 5 or so minutes until browned. Add garlic, salt, pepper and herbs. Cook another minute. Add wine and cook a minute. Then add the broth mixture and turn the heat down. This should thicken up very nicely....if you aren't quite ready to use it...turn off the heat and let it hang until about 2 minutes before you intend to use it and then turn the heat on again.




In your bowl, layer as follows:

Base - Chopped Cabbage
Layer 2- Beans
Layer 3- Roasted Veg
Top with your delicious Mushroom Gravy

Sit down and enjoy :)


1 comment: