Start time was set at 4am. At the trailhead I was to meet two others who were willing to do a lap or two in the middle of the night for no reason. A long commute and blueberry muffins set my running partners back a little so I made the first ascent myself with not near enough moon to forego the headlamp.
I met Brian and Will on my way down and was glad to have their company for the second lap of the mountain. Having two guys along to run 20 or so miles of a 50 mile day can be dangerous though, especially when they are training for the Leadville 100. Lap number 3 began with slight cramping of the quads and the realization I may have outpaced myself for laps 1 and 2.
On my way down the mountain for the third time of the day, I briefly ran into my father-in-law and then met my Dad who had come out to make a trip up with me. My feet at this point were a wrinkled pruny mess due to previous nights showers which turned the upper mile of the trail into a creek bed. For lap four I attempted to put on fresh shoes and socks. I couldn't find a body position that allowed for the change of footwear without severe leg cramping but finally managed to make the swap anyhow. I caught up to Dad near the bluff and we hiked the remainder of ascent. Surprisingly my legs started to feel better on this trip, giving me some hope that I might have a few trips left in me still.
I made ascent five alone and with remaining hope that I may be able to do it once more. The trip down changed my mind, degenerating from a weak jog to hike to slow walk. I met Caitlin about a quarter mile from the trailhead. She was packed and ready to go for a trip up the mountain, but I told her I would only go up again if someone paid me a thousand dollars. She said she wasn't going to, and there was no one else around to ask so we slowly made our way back to the trailhead. Darkening skies and increasingly frequent thunder convincing me I made the right decision. I had a great time up until the last hour or so on the trail, then it just wasn't fun anymore. I had already spent an entire day hiking and running my favorite trail with some of my favorite people, there was no motivation to go back. After a few minutes of putting on dry clothes and re-hydrating, we packed it up and called it a day. After 50+ miles and over 15,000 feet of elevation gain the decision to head home was an easy one, I was just happy we didn't have to walk back.



Thanks for the fun Wednesday morning, Dave! Foothills trail next?! :O
ReplyDeleteAnytime man. Wish I could've made the trip out west to Leadville with you guys, but a belated congrats anyhow. Transrockies next year?
ReplyDelete... The foothills trail... guess I need to start getting some more long runs in.
Congratulations on your accomplishments, Dave. I keep a blog dedicated to frequent climbers of Mount Le Conte: LeConteLog.blogspot.com. I've added this 5-lap day to the list of milestone hikes. If you will send me the total number of times you've climbed Le Conte, I'd like to include you on that honor roll, too. Thanks! Tom Layton, Boone NC. Email LeConteLog@gmail.com.
ReplyDelete